Monday, April 13, 2015

Spotlight on Textile Designer: Erin McDermott


Hand drawn paper dolls by Erin McDermott
Networking and interdisciplinary understanding are so important in the fashion industry so today I started a Spotlight Series to show how technology in fashion is not just focused on business planning, but rather the entire design process.
The first post focuses on Erin McDermott, a very talented textile designer with a concentration in print design.  While she loves print design and her freelance work, she has also studied and interned at Free People in their apparel design department.  I asked a few questions to dig deeper into what inspires her and how technology influenced her work and her industry.  All illustrations are hand drawn by Erin. 

Inspiration sketches and color swatches that are used in the design process.


SQ: First off thank you! So what lead you to chose the textiles profession?
EM: I have always loved sewing and creating my own things. I studied fashion design for a year and realized my best work came from a great textile. A lot of my work was made from re-purposed materials (old couch cushions, my great aunt scarves, brother’s baby curtains, etc.). While at school I was introduced to textile design. Being able to create my own fabric for my designs was something I never thought of before.

SQ: Well, your work is amazing! What inspires you?
EM: Most of my inspiration comes from people I meet. And I can always find inspiration from children’s street style. There are no limitations with their clothing, really anything goes. There is a lot of freedom and fun with how they dress and I like to emulate that whimsical and sort of unexpected feeling in my work.

More floral inspiration sketches
SQ: As you said, you have a lot of experience in different fields, so what would you consider your dream career?
EM: My dream career is to be my own boss. If that doesn’t work out I would love to work for a children’s clothing company. I enjoy a lot of different areas of design and would like to work in any sort of design position. As long as I am able to work with my hands using lots of color and printed material I will be happy.

SQ: Finally, can you explain how technology might be important in textile design?
EM: Without technology, textile design would be limited.  Especially in print, there are so many tools and machines that transfer hand done work into materials.  Technology speeds up the process and expands capabilities.

As shown in this print, technology allows for Erin's hand drawings to be repeated into a beautiful print.

For more information, portfolio work and contact information, visit Erin's site www.erinmade.com
Thanks a lot Erin, keep up the amazing work!

No comments:

Post a Comment